Monday 12 August 2013

Confused mummy

Sometimes, I can't help but wonder if I have got it all together as a mother. There are countless of parenting theories out in the market and plenty of advice from family and friends. Am I doing it right? Or have I done something unwittingly detrimental in the course of my parenting to my daughter's and maybe at times, my own well-being? Even seemingly simple things like should I introduce a pacifier to my daughter or allow her to suck her little thumb, should I train her to sleep independently or nurse her to sleep, should I use a pram or a carrier when bringing her out (the list is endless), confound me at times. At times, the good-willed and well-meaning advice and comments flood in from all corners and leave me perplexed.

It doesn't help on days when naomi is uncooperative and cries her lungs out, inconsolable. Or when she bawls when she needs to sleep and mummy isn't around, and no one seems able to comfort her despite their efforts. My parenting philosophy has evolved either consciously or unconciously over time and it may not be the best. But perhaps there isn't a one-size fit all parenting practice as each child is different and unique. So I do that which is comfortable for me. And as a friend has so wisely put it, use my motherly instinct. Thus, I nurse my little one to sleep (saves me the energy trying to comfort her on days when she is cranky. If it doesn't work, I put her in a sling. She falls asleep while I walk her in my Boba too! And truth be told, I do enjoy nursing her), I let her suck her tiny thumb (tried the pacifier partly in desperation and partly under pressure, but in all instances, she rejected it), and I don't give her the bottle unless necessary (she latches on all the time).

I am still clueless as to whether I am doing the right thing, I guess I will never know. Time and again I will probably still question myself, if i have done it right. But it really isn't so important after all. I shall make mistakes and learn from them. And I shall adjust my parenting style to suit my child. If she turns out to be sticky to me, then so be it! She will grow up one day and leave my side (so I shall enjoy it while it lasts ;))

My dear Naomi, one day you will become a mother yourself and will probably be as concerned and confused as your mummy here. But it is ok and it is normal. Listen to advice but eventually do what your heart tells you to. Mummy loves you, all your good and your bad, and regardless whether you grow to be an easy or difficult child (I heard from grandma that mummy was a crybaby!). You will understand this when you become a mother yourself!

Lots of love,
Mummy

No comments:

Post a Comment